2017 Season-Changes

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Beau said:

Just picked up the new whip:

. I know, I know. Another one. I have to admit they are pretty fun to race!

(for those of you wondering, yes this is Murray's old car)

At least Sam took one away. Think of it as you just keeping the numbers level, as no one likes change right ;)

Shall be an interesting year! 

Tire changes will be the big key player as evolving compounds and new sizes may drastically change the playing field in classes. I predict the 245/15 to have the potential to upset the top in Street Mod.  

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎21 at 5:25 PM, MRS Joe said:

Tire changes will be the big key player as evolving compounds and new sizes may drastically change the playing field in classes. I predict the 245/15 to have the potential to upset the top in Street Mod.  

245/15 ? what brand, and what cars are you talking about upsetting Shawn :)

On 2017-02-12 at 8:16 PM, Nhil said:

Going to try and limp my RE-71R's through the season, tire wear on these is pretty brutal, especially with use at Gimli. I might consider a different tire once these are pooched depending on what the reviews are like on the RS4's and Star Spec 3's.

Hey Nhil. How bad did your RE-71R's fair at Gimli? I was planning on doing the HPDE but am concerned that the 2 days on the track might kill these tires, I have ~6,000kms and 8 AutoX events on them so far.

On anther note, picked up a Koyorad with silicone hoses, data logger, ported and ceramic coated exhaust manifolds,digital tire gauge and a whole bunch of maintenance stuff. Still have a few more things to grab before the season starts.
FullSizeRender_zpsquxjtcqv.jpg

1 hour ago, coach said:

245/15 ? what brand, and what cars are you talking about upsetting Shawn :)

245/40/15: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=&width=245/&ratio=40&diameter=15&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

BFG Launched this size for the Rivals S. Note the tread compound is the same for 2017 however all tires 255 and under have an ungraded belts package, apparently this should improve the steering feel over last year's model.

Hankook just launched the RS-4, this is a brand new tire model from the old RS-3. No word yet on how they compare to the RE71's or Rival tires since they haven't landed just yet. they offer a 225/45/15 and a 245/40/15.

Maaxis Victra VR-1 also come in a 245/40/15 but they are proven to be slower than last year's 225/45/15 Rival S. Grassroots Motorsport Magazine did a test last year.

Pretty sure the Corolla could fit 245/40/15 up front. B)

11 hours ago, MB Spec-B said:

Hey Nhil. How bad did your RE-71R's fair at Gimli? I was planning on doing the HPDE but am concerned that the 2 days on the track might kill these tires, I have ~6,000kms and 8 AutoX events on them so far.

I wouldn't say they faired poorly but they will get eaten up quick. I had 5 hot lapping days (at approx. 25-30 laps per day) plus a dozen or so events with a few of those codriven plus some daily driving. The right outer sidewalls are fairly cooked especially from all the right handers. With a heavier, awd car I would expect the wear to be to be worse.

I'd estimate based on what kind of use you have on them now to be pooched by end of season, maybe earlier depending on your driving style and how they wear at autox. I don't think one HPDE event would kill them.

23 hours ago, Magner said:

245/40/15: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=&width=245/&ratio=40&diameter=15&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

BFG Launched this size for the Rivals S. Note the tread compound is the same for 2017 however all tires 255 and under have an ungraded belts package, apparently this should improve the steering feel over last year's model.

Hankook just launched the RS-4, this is a brand new tire model from the old RS-3. No word yet on how they compare to the RE71's or Rival tires since they haven't landed just yet. they offer a 225/45/15 and a 245/40/15.

Maaxis Victra VR-1 also come in a 245/40/15 but they are proven to be slower than last year's 225/45/15 Rival S. Grassroots Motorsport Magazine did a test last year.

Pretty sure the Corolla could fit 245/40/15 up front. B)

Dam, I really don't think I will go to a 245.... I think they would only slow me down (not enough HP)

The tires I use are already taking power away from the car.

I will buy a new set of 225/45/15's(Rival S), and I am also going to experiment with some 215's and lighter rims (less tire but less drag).  The reason for this is, my car with 185's on it is so much faster off the line and in general that it is almost unbelievable.  Now I know that I will lose some control with a narrower tire, but the speed gain could be worth it.  I was always on the rev limiter last year with Shawn's wide open big car tracks......lol.  I couldn't get more speed without going to 3rd gear, the hope will be that I will be going faster before I hit the rev limiter....?  Not sure if the math is correct (getting advice from all corners of the globe).

Please feel free to offer opinions (Joe...lol)

12 hours ago, justkickin said:

Nicely done Beau! 

You S2K guys do realize if you bought a car with a trunk you wouldn't need a trailer and you just might get some torque on the side. :D

Thanks Tim! Actually, this car has a lot bigger trunk than my last convertible (Miata). Just because it isn't based on a truck platform (ahem, corvette), doesn't mean it can't tow!

Magne, I'm looking forward to battling it out AP1 vs AP2, but also there are a lot of other AP1s I need to worry about as well. So there should be a lot of competition. I'd like to try AP1 vs AP2 on the same course during one of the events, maybe during fun runs or TnT. I'll let you do the same of course. Let's figure out some codrives. Not only to determine which car is faster, but also to feel the difference in the cars and how they behave at the limit. The obvious power and gearing differences are well documented but the subtleties are what I'd like to really find out. Nice that you have a cable throttle car, I've heard that the electronic throttle cars (06+?) lose a bit of driveability/feel but of course that's just what I've heard.

8 hours ago, Beau said:

Thanks Tim! Actually, this car has a lot bigger trunk than my last convertible (Miata). Just because it isn't based on a truck platform (ahem, corvette), doesn't mean it can't tow!

Magne, I'm looking forward to battling it out AP1 vs AP2, but also there are a lot of other AP1s I need to worry about as well. So there should be a lot of competition. I'd like to try AP1 vs AP2 on the same course during one of the events, maybe during fun runs or TnT. I'll let you do the same of course. Let's figure out some codrives. Not only to determine which car is faster, but also to feel the difference in the cars and how they behave at the limit. The obvious power and gearing differences are well documented but the subtleties are what I'd like to really find out. Nice that you have a cable throttle car, I've heard that the electronic throttle cars (06+?) lose a bit of driveability/feel but of course that's just what I've heard.

I agree!

I'm in for some nerding-out on this. I'd like to compare data, overall weight, the thrust curves between the cars and see if our generally faster local runway courses really do favour the taller 2nd in the AP1 and if so how much. I assume you will be running 225/16 square? I have a set of 245 square ready to go. I'm also game for swapping wheels at a test and tune (not legal in Street) to see what kinda of advantage the AP2's 17" wheel & tire package has on the AP1.

9 hours ago, coach said:

Dam, I really don't think I will go to a 245.... I think they would only slow me down (not enough HP)

The tires I use are already taking power away from the car.

I will buy a new set of 225/45/15's(Rival S), and I am also going to experiment with some 215's and lighter rims (less tire but less drag).  The reason for this is, my car with 185's on it is so much faster off the line and in general that it is almost unbelievable.  Now I know that I will lose some control with a narrower tire, but the speed gain could be worth it.  I was always on the rev limiter last year with Shawn's wide open big car tracks......lol.  I couldn't get more speed without going to 3rd gear, the hope will be that I will be going faster before I hit the rev limiter....?  Not sure if the math is correct (getting advice from all corners of the globe).

Please feel free to offer opinions (Joe...lol)

Yes a narrower wheel and tire package might shave a sliver of time in straight line acceleration, on a big road course with long straights this might also be important (GRM magazine's article last year on the 245 vs 225 tire test touched on this at COTA) but in this autocross sport it's all about lateral grip. Your light Carolla on big sticky shoes has that heavy German Panzer beat in any transitional element, you want to maximize that advantage not reduce it.

Think of it this way, you have a corner you can currently take at 60km and it leads to a straight with a top speed of about 90km before the next turn where you need to brake to 60km again. What I'm saying is don't worry about that 60-90 acceleration time. Focus on increasing the grip so rather than leaving the corner at 60km you can now leave or enter the new corner at 70km. Momentum car FTW!

I wish we had the same bolt pattern, I would gladly borrow you 205/50/15 Rival S's on 15x7 wheels to compare back to back... I can almost guarantee you would not be able to match the time set on the 225 15x9 setup. Joe had 15x7's with 205 Dunlops back in the day... maybe he can chime in.

See CSP Miatas with 275 Hoosiers, 130(?) HP, and ludicrous lap times.  It's pretty rare that more tire isn't better at autocross. 

Chris and Beau, I'm real interested in seeing the AP1/2 battle! I think that the AP1's higher top speed in 2nd is a big advantage locally on our higher speed courses. 

My to-do list for my car this year:

- Engine tear-down as there were a few over-revs due to missed shifts

- Get newer used tires

- Continuing to fix/improve little things

- Modify shock mounts so shock adjustments are more consistent

- Try a higher front spring rate to tame the rear end down a little more

- Try a higher 2nd gear to cut down on the shifting needed

- Make new foam seat that fits me better

- Find/install an oil-water heat exchanger to help the oil warm up faster (need to idle a LONG time to get the oil to proper temp)

I'm hoping to get #1 done before the first event. The rest is just a bonus after that! 

14 hours ago, Magner said:

Yes a narrower wheel and tire package might shave a sliver of time in straight line acceleration, on a big road course with long straights this might also be important (GRM magazine's article last year on the 245 vs 225 tire test touched on this at COTA) but in this autocross sport it's all about lateral grip. Your light Carolla on big sticky shoes has that heavy German Panzer beat in any transitional element, you want to maximize that advantage not reduce it.

Think of it this way, you have a corner you can currently take at 60km and it leads to a straight with a top speed of about 90km before the next turn where you need to brake to 60km again. What I'm saying is don't worry about that 60-90 acceleration time. Focus on increasing the grip so rather than leaving the corner at 60km you can now leave or enter the new corner at 70km. Momentum car FTW!

I wish we had the same bolt pattern, I would gladly borrow you 205/50/15 Rival S's on 15x7 wheels to compare back to back... I can almost guarantee you would not be able to match the time set on the 225 15x9 setup. Joe had 15x7's with 205 Dunlops back in the day... maybe he can chime in.

The Corolla was a little quicker in the straights but slower overall on the 205's on 15x7's. That setup was sold to Ben for his civic years back.  If I could do it I would put 245's on all 4 corners or at least 245's on the front as the 9's will take them easily.  Also it will help with the front end pushing under full throttle at higher speeds. 

You could widen the rear arches by cutting the inner well, rolling/pulling  the arch, and welding a filler panel  (not sure if that's smf legal) 

Buy 6ul wheels then to lighten rotating mass (9" again or 10" may fit in the front easily) and dial in more camber. 

If you have power issues, resolve them with more power.  Easy solution ;)

That car fits a 3sgte or beams 3sge... just saying......

My 2017 plans are as followed

- SHOW UP!!!
- Working with Turner and Apex to understand what i need to buy to fit 18x9.5" rims under the car with 265/285 staggared RE-71R tires (currently 17x9 with 255's) I have the power, but need the grip!
- Replace the brakes so the brake wear indicator goes away
- Fix the miss fire that happens when the car isn't fully warm and you use WOT

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-02-23 at 10:12 PM, Nhil said:

I wouldn't say they faired poorly but they will get eaten up quick. I had 5 hot lapping days (at approx. 25-30 laps per day) plus a dozen or so events with a few of those codriven plus some daily driving. The right outer sidewalls are fairly cooked especially from all the right handers. With a heavier, awd car I would expect the wear to be to be worse.

I'd estimate based on what kind of use you have on them now to be pooched by end of season, maybe earlier depending on your driving style and how they wear at autox. I don't think one HPDE event would kill them.

Thanks for the reply Nhil. Sounds like you got quite a bit of use out of yours, what vehicle did you have them on? This is what my set looks like now, as long as I can do the HPDE and the full season of AutoX I'll be happy.

17238267_10158336241365015_1771853339_n_

5 hours ago, MB Spec-B said:

Thanks for the reply Nhil. Sounds like you got quite a bit of use out of yours, what vehicle did you have them on? This is what my set looks like now, as long as I can do the HPDE and the full season of AutoX I'll be happy.

I had them on an s2000, so about 600 lbs less than your spec. b. Those still look pretty good to me, you'll probably see some outside edge wear. If it gets real bad you could flip them which I'll probably do this year.

On 2/14/2017 at 8:25 AM, Brian_Earl_Spilner said:

I'll be showing up to the Gimli event (if there is one), and the RRX event (if there is one).

Same here, although I don't think I'll do RRX because of the infamous dip. The GT-R bottomed out on it, so the R8 will be even worse. But the Gimli event is always a good time.

Looks like I won't be taking the oem tools out of my trunk this year. From the April fastrack,

"Street
#21376 FRS/BRZ Tool Holder Removal Clarification
Since the FRS/BRZ foam tool holder is secured in place by factory plastic push pins,
without the spare tire holding it in place, it cannot be removed per rule 13.2.F"

The things people will write letters about. smh.

Finish fixing my car and putting it back together. Hopefully I don't have another headgasket leak (car might be eating a bit of coolant somewhere). 'mechanic' drove it around for 2+ hours not realizing he was overheating the motor and didn't bleed the cooling system properly.
- newer LSD
- New tires
-Alignment? ;) 
- Show up!

2 hours ago, Curtis said:

Looks like I won't be taking the oem tools out of my trunk this year. From the April fastrack,

"Street
#21376 FRS/BRZ Tool Holder Removal Clarification
Since the FRS/BRZ foam tool holder is secured in place by factory plastic push pins,
without the spare tire holding it in place, it cannot be removed per rule 13.2.F"

The things people will write letters about. smh.

That's only the tool holder. You could take the tools out of the foam holder.... 

Archived