conebasher

2017 Season-Changes

107 posts in this topic

Who is has new parts, new car or even a new attitude for the 2017 Season? The Pink Panther has a new tune, new gearbox ratios, new front/rear weight balance and some new aerodynamics so I will be happy with nothing less than 1st in PAX

streamlines2_zpse73g05l0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping to work on this...

1F1FC22D-C491-4451-B16F-551F4FEA36D5_zps

I decided I needed a daily, to carry my daughter if need be and bought this low mileage 323i 5 speed from mpi... I'll get my ass handed to me but have fun.  

74EAD916-8AAA-412E-AA69-FBEE4397BEA2_zps

But alas, I got distracted and bought this, DS as well but with 130hp more... it'll be fun to try out.  

Edit: turns out it's an F-Street car! 

290EFDAB-0CC7-4D44-B56B-72D03C6CD32C_zps

 

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_20170129_133406_zps3zb9zqh4.jpg?t=14

 

Currently working on replacing the blown motor with a 2.4L from an SRT-4. The new motor is capable of handling above and beyond what the current turbo setup is capable of producing. New weakest link are the axles and hubs which are a priority since I plan on using wide, heavy wheels with 225 tires up front (245/40/15 once I burn through my current set). Still need to hunt down ground control top hats in order to use the re-valved double adjustable Koni's. Results don't matter this year,  goal is to have the car running, driving and autocrossing reliably (in that order). With some luck I'll be able to address some other non-priority low hanging fruit in the SM rules and get the car setup somewhere half decent.

Alternate goal is to attend minimum 1 autox school (in the reliable daily driver) and show up at ALL events next year.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another BMW - sigh. I see that I will need stronger coffee prior to driving this year. I've sourced Thom Bargen's which I'm sure has at least twice the caffeine as Starbucks! Contemplating KW coilovers, but haven't figured out how to tell my wife its that or a cruise. We are vacationing in Victoria soon and I do hope to get over to HPA motorsports to see some of their latest project cars, including their 720 HP Golf R. I'll see if they take trade-ins. But my biggest change this year will be in attitude - I plan to have a ton of fun!

But, I will leave you backyard mechanics with a question - do you have, or can you recommend a small body repair/painter? - I've got some minor work to clean the car up this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sticking with the S4 of course but have some additions I plan to make...nothing crazy and more just because I want to do them and I think they might help a small amount:

  • Short shifter (really this is just because I have never done one and everyone raves about how good this mod is)
  • Front and rear sway bars with end links
  • Rear sub-frame bushing inserts
  • Rear differential bushing inserts
  • Transmission bushing inserts
  • Front upper adjustable control arms (need some more negative camber. Had -1.1 degrees last year and going to -3 degrees this year)

I had also expected to do new wheels and tires but I might not be able to swing that now. So it might mean just replace tires in the stock size but instead of RE-11's I'll go RE-71R's. Was hoping to go one size wider, from a 255 to a 265 but that won't work on the stock wheels. Will see how that all shakes out.

Was also planning on adding telemetry but that will have to wait another year. I am going to improve my video this year though. My wonderful mother-in-law cashed in some airmiles to get me a great Christmas gift...2 GoPro Session cameras (last year's model) and I have enough rewards points of my own to get a Hero5 Black. I also purchased some video editing software so that I can run the Hero5 in-cabin as I did last year but then run the Sessions on each rear fender looking down the side of the car. The placement is almost perfect and I can see down the side of the car including the base of the rear tires to see where I am actually placing the car. The software will allow me to do PIP so I can place 2 small windows showing the outside views. I did a tests with just random videos and it worked well. Also a neat feature that I hope works well, though I have not tried, is that the software will auto-sync the videos using audio, so If you guys hear me at the staging line cranking my radio or honking my horn, I am just trying to establish some audio cues for the video...although if we have announcing then that should take care of what I need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, codewhore said:

My wonderful mother-in-law ... 

First time I've seen that phrase used in a serious manner, not sarcastic at all. Wow. Good for you!

Those planned suspension mods should help a ton. I can tell you that my STi really got a lot more fun to drive after adding sway bars and more front camber. The sway bars sharpen up steering response and feel, that's for sure, and most people claim they also help in raising the ultimate amount of grip available. The camber helps a lot by giving you more front bite, which is fantastic for an AWD car. I'd say you're definitely on the right track with those suspension changes.

Also I'm pretty jealous of your plans for video capture & editing. I always wanted to do that, just couldn't justify the expense. I always had only 1 side of the car or else in the cabin, never all 3. Can't wait to see what your first couple of videos look like. The way camera technology is evolving, pretty soon it will be easy and relatively cheap for anyone to do this. There are a lot of decent action cameras now available for ~$100, which should more than suffice for side views. Please go for a drive on the street and combine all 3 views in PIP at once, I'd love to see how it looks. If you already tried it, please share the link. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May be out for this year as I have bought a house in southern Ontario and have a lot to do to get my house ready to sell. I may be able to get a couple of events in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beau said:

First time I've seen that phrase used in a serious manner, not sarcastic at all. Wow. Good for you!

Those planned suspension mods should help a ton. I can tell you that my STi really got a lot more fun to drive after adding sway bars and more front camber. The sway bars sharpen up steering response and feel, that's for sure, and most people claim they also help in raising the ultimate amount of grip available. The camber helps a lot by giving you more front bite, which is fantastic for an AWD car. I'd say you're definitely on the right track with those suspension changes.

Also I'm pretty jealous of your plans for video capture & editing. I always wanted to do that, just couldn't justify the expense. I always had only 1 side of the car or else in the cabin, never all 3. Can't wait to see what your first couple of videos look like. The way camera technology is evolving, pretty soon it will be easy and relatively cheap for anyone to do this. There are a lot of decent action cameras now available for ~$100, which should more than suffice for side views. Please go for a drive on the street and combine all 3 views in PIP at once, I'd love to see how it looks. If you already tried it, please share the link. :)

No video yet, I missed my opportunity to do a "first drive after a heavy snowfall" which I think would have been fun...just haven't had the time. As soon as I get something I will post up here. First things first though, I have to get some autoslalom director work done or no one is racing! :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just needs some sticky tires, motor, floors and a couple other things (miata chassis swap) and it is ready to go :):

[URL=http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/1973celica/media/IMG_4996_zpswj9pupvp.jpg.html]IMG_4996_zpswj9pupvp.jpg[/URL]

 

Just kidding it is more like a drift car right now:

 

[URL=http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/1973celica/media/IMG_6955_zps18bftcc9.jpg.html]IMG_6955_zps18bftcc9.jpg[/URL]

 

I will probably be running my really slow wagon again or maybe getting my self a cheap Miata. What I do need is new autocross tires. What are decent autocross street class tires for this season?

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Nice pun, :lol:

 

On your tire question, I've been meaning to create a "Tire Talk" thread, long story short there's some new stuff available but currently the fastest tire for 95% of people is also the cheapest option from Costco. Bridgestone RE-71R, you just can't beat that prices anywhere in North America. Prices start at ~$129+tax CND per tire, no extras for shipping or duty and they will offer install for $15 if I remember correctly. Although they wear our a little faster than some other options, with our St Andrews surface they should run out of tread before they head cycle out, so the entire 9/32 thread depth is usable fast sticky tread, making them also effective for a run per $ comparison.

 

If you own a Miata, Corolla or Neon on WIDE 15" wheels, BFG Rival S and Hankook RS4 are going to be offering a 245/40/15 size this year. ;)@coach

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Magner said:

^ Nice pun, :lol:

 

On your tire question, I've been meaning to create a "Tire Talk" thread, long story short there's some new stuff available but currently the fastest tire for 95% of people is also the cheapest option from Costco. Bridgestone RE-71R, you just can't beat that prices anywhere in North America. Prices start at ~$129+tax CND per tire, no extras for shipping or duty and they will offer install for $15 if I remember correctly. Although they wear our a little faster than some other options, with our St Andrews surface they should run out of tread before they head cycle out, so the entire 9/32 thread depth is usable fast sticky tread, making them also effective for a run per $ comparison.

 

If you own a Miata, Corolla or Neon on WIDE 15" wheels, BFG Rival S and Hankook RS4 are going to be offering a 245/40/15 size this year. ;)@coach

Agreed that you can't beat Costco for Bridgestone tires. Although they start at $129, my size runs about $350 per tire. :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replace a broken front end link from the last event of 2016. 

Wear out the two season old RE71R's and then replace with another set or A7's...undecided at the moment. 

Change all the fluids and go have fun. 

If I go A7's do I stay in stock class groupings or move into SCCA Mixed? Not that it will impact my decision to have fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started to get some whine from my output shaft bearing late last year. Picked up an AP2 trans, driveshaft and diff to have as spares. Trying to decide right now whether to swap it this year or just change out the fluid on my current trans and run it until it gets worse. My current clutch is fine as well so that's also pushing me to leaving the current one in. I would want to switch out the clutch regardless of condition if I'm doing the work of swapping transmissions.

Also need to readjust my ride height and play around with my preload a bit. Then need to get another alignment after that and going to see if I can eek out some more camber. 

Going to try and limp my RE-71R's through the season, tire wear on these is pretty brutal, especially with use at Gimli. I might consider a different tire once these are pooched depending on what the reviews are like on the RS4's and Star Spec 3's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, justkickin said:

Replace a broken front end link from the last event of 2016. 

Wear out the two season old RE71R's and then replace with another set or A7's...undecided at the moment. 

Change all the fluids and go have fun. 

If I go A7's do I stay in stock class groupings or move into SCCA Mixed? Not that it will impact my decision to have fun. 

SSR isn't included in the Street group so it would be mixed for you. (if the 2017 sup regs remain the same).

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nhil said:

Started to get some whine from my output shaft bearing late last year. Picked up an AP2 trans, driveshaft and diff to have as spares. Trying to decide right now whether to swap it this year or just change out the fluid on my current trans and run it until it gets worse. My current clutch is fine as well so that's also pushing me to leaving the current one in. I would want to switch out the clutch regardless of condition if I'm doing the work of swapping transmissions.

Also need to readjust my ride height and play around with my preload a bit. Then need to get another alignment after that and going to see if I can eek out some more camber. 

Going to try and limp my RE-71R's through the season, tire wear on these is pretty brutal, especially with use at Gimli. I might consider a different tire once these are pooched depending on what the reviews are like on the RS4's and Star Spec 3's.

Re71r are too soft for lapping. Guys usually bought rs3 (v1) for that back in the day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MRS Joe said:

Re71r are too soft for lapping. Guys usually bought rs3 (v1) for that back in the day.  

Yeah that's what I've found. I'm hoping the RS4's will be a bit of a compromise between the RE71's and the RS3's. I don't need something that wears like iron but an improvement would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be back racing this season, I've mentally committed to it. Not going to try and make every event like I used to, but not going to be absent like last year.

Undecided what car I'll be using.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be showing up to the Gimli event (if there is one), and the RRX event (if there is one). My usual two-event appearances these days, get FTD and embarrass you all like I always do when I show up, then go home a winner.

Edited by Brian_Earl_Spilner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note to self...cancel all Gimli and RRX events going forward.

Just kidding. 8-)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brian_Earl_Spilner said:

I'll be showing up to the Gimli event (if there is one), and the RRX event (if there is one). My usual two-event appearances these days, get FTD and embarrass you all like I always do when I show up, then go home a winner.

As long as you feel like a winner afterwards, that's all that matters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Eh. said:

:rolleyes:

Have you "Prepared" any plans for the upcoming season? :ph34r:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not yet. I think I will have to request NYC to return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎12 at 5:02 PM, codewhore said:

Agreed that you can't beat Costco for Bridgestone tires. Although they start at $129, my size runs about $350 per tire. :o

Interestingly enough, the Firestones I just bought were far cheaper online from PMC Tire as opposed to Costco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

Interestingly enough, the Firestones I just bought were far cheaper online from PMC Tire as opposed to Costco.

Yeah it's pretty close between PMC Tire and Costco for me depending on what I wold do. If Costco mounts them for me then they are a bit cheaper, if I have the tires mounted at Winnipeg Wheel Works (regardless of if I buy from Costco or PMC tire), then PMC is the cheaper option. But the difference is pretty small.

Ugh, you made me realize that my tires for the season are ~$1650

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now