KWKFXTi

Self-service/DYI auto garage bay rental

7 posts in this topic

May be a naïve question, but are there any places in Winterpeg that offer 'self-service' or 'do-it-yourself' garage bay/space rental (by the hour or....) for auto repairs...(hoist, tools...) ????

similar to this...http://stewsgarage.com/

thanx Ken.

I've asked people about this before, but never found a good answer. I don't think such a place exists in Winnipeg yet.

I used to live in a condo and had no place to work on my own car, so I was always driving out of town to my parents' place or to a friend's house to work on my car. I searched for a DIY garage rental space for more than a couple of years, but never found one. Now that I have a garage I've given up the search, but I'd still be interested if you find something local. Might be nice to have access to a lift now and then, or a heated space to work in the winter.

Ya they seem to exist in eastern and western Canada except for a void here....still looking and will advise if I find anything!!!

Maybe this is a sign as a good business opportunity :) 

If you had a large fortune to start something like this up in Winnipeg you would definitely have a small fortune in end. ;)

I recall a shop that offered this 20ish years ago. Rented space, power, and possibly air, at and hourly/daily rate. Imagine they are long gone....

When I lived in Edmonton, there was this place that looked like a former carwash. You could rent a bay and there was a tool rental desk that had everything you might need. Some of the bays had hoists, too. I believe such a business would work in Winnipeg BECAUSE everybody is so damn cheap

Just comes down to three things....

-Insurance/liability

-Theft/loss (broken) tools

(large deposits would deter potential clientele) 

-final rental costs and Winnipeg being cheap 

What would be a reasonable hourly or daily rate? 

Would the setup costs be able to be recovered in a timely fashion, as if not your maintenance costs would catch up with your setup costs and it'd be a money pit... 

Great idea in theory, for an old shop that's being dumped to be converted into, but not feasible from scratch in a new facility (which is what people want/expect)