Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jaarreedd

Icecross Event - Saturday, January 21st

7 posts in this topic

Official Event Details: 

What? 
Icecross style event (driving on a frozen pond, on a track carved out of the snow, in an attempt to get around the course in the quickest times possible)
* Please note that this will not be ice-cross in its true sense, as cones may or may not be used, however future events will stick to a regulated set of rules.

Why?
The purpose of this event is to start establishing a rally community here in Manitoba once again. This event will serve to get drivers out and interested, and is also convenient due to us sharing the track with the ice racers. In addition, the race school is an excellent opportunity for drivers to gain valuable skills from a seasoned expert!

When?

Saturday, January 21st, 2017

Schedule:
10:45 am - Driver's Meeting --> Location: TBD (We'll just congregate together)
11:00 am - 4:00 pm - Ice-cross Lapping --> Let's rip!

We will be doing rotations with the other two groups, so it will run in the following order: 15 min. studded, 15 min. rubber-ice, 15 min. Ice-Cross, repeat

Where?
Mazenod Pond
 - Off Dugald road, across from the Tim Hortons --> Google Maps Link: https://goo.gl/maps/rBdiYsSNtv82

How Much?
Entry Fee: $60 --> We pay what the ice racers pay, plain and simple

What Do I Need?
1. A current SNELL “M” or “SA” helmet
    - SA is strongly encouraged
    - SA helmet mandatory for all vehicles with factory or aftermarket installed roll protection
2. WSCC Membership --> See here: http://www.wscc.mb.ca/join/
3. Winter Tires --> all season tires are not permitted
4. Register for the event on MotorsportReg --> http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2017-wscc-ice-race-2-mazenod-pond-winnipeg-sports-car-club-768282
5. Bring a bucket to put all your belongings in (Rubbermaid tote, for example), as you will need to remove all loose items from your vehicle before you head out on the track.
6. Vehicle must be dimensionally wider than it is tall (same restriction as Autocross)

How Do I Sign Up?
Follow the links above, or text/call me at (204) 294-0286 with any questions/concerns.

To answer some common questions:
1. No, you do not need any special modifications to your vehicle. You can show up with your daily-driver (Toyota Tercel, or EVO X, doesn't matter), or your full blown race-car. This is about having fun no matter what you're in, and challenging your skills as a driver. The only requirement is that the vehicle be wider than it is tall (identical rules to Autocross)
2. Do I need a WSCC membership? Yes, this is mandatory for insurance purposes
3. Where can I get a helmet? You can either borrow one from a friend (lots of people in the city that do Autocross, or HPDE that have purchased helmets in the past. OR, go to Classic Motorworks or other speed shops in the city and pick one up for yourself
4. Am I going to have fun? Um, heck yes. This event allows you to do everything you already do when we get a snow storm, but without the worry of being charged for it.
5. Will I become Ken Block / Colin McRae once I've completed this event? No... But if you keep getting involved and participating, then you absolutely have a chance!

Let's get this community going, and have a blast doing it! We had an awesome time 2 weeks ago with an all-Subaru turnout, and the guys learned a bunch! Hope to see everyone out!

1 person likes this

@Jaarreedd thanks buddy I know it must be tough setting up rally events and also ice racing yourself, appreciate this wscc update,  I'll be signing up later tonight online hope I'm not the only one ripping awd that day! Cheers buddy see you there 

From the Ice Race Director to you Rally guys (and girls); It was great to have you out last time as it's nice to see some more enthusiasm with the icy part of our sport. I do have a hidden agenda to your crew showing up as I do hope that one or two of you decide to pull the pin and buy a bucket and come racing. 

This Saturday you will have much more seat time as you will not have the Ice Race School plus we are not having our qualifying session so it will be session after session rotating between Studded, Rubber and Rally right from 11am to 4pm. If we do 10 minute segments then you're looking at 1 hour and 40 minutes of total seat time and if there aren't many studded then you'll have even more seat time. 

If there is a new person that shows up that wasn't at the school last race weekend then make sure you seek out Jared to get the lay of the land so you know what to do. 

Get your membership, sign up for the Saturday, grab a helmet and come lapping! 

Thank you guys and thank you to Jared for firing this up. 

1 person likes this

Check out the ice racer for sale in the forums,just talk with him , he still has it, it's a running car. Also have an extra set of belts that are still good for this season, if needed. See Tim in car#79

Lets go racing!!

Excellent post @chkdsk, and thanks for the support! I'm excited to see more and more interest in this. The hope is that we grow a community that is interested in seeing official events happen locally, and also garner a team of dedicated volunteers, as the events won't happen without them. 

Tons of seat time will happen this Saturday, so get ready and come on out! Like Jordan said, come see me if you weren't at the school during the last event, so I can run you through the basics. 

Read the "Flags" section of this document for details that will apply to you while lapping: http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/10719-2017-supp-regs/

I may not be able to make it out this weekend :(Jaarreedd Is there a schedule of possible future events this winter? Would be nice to mark them on the calendar. 

3 minutes ago, white_cross said:

I may not be able to make it out this weekend :(Jaarreedd Is there a schedule of possible future events this winter? Would be nice to mark them on the calendar. 

Sorry to hear that, shoot. I will be figuring out which events will happen this year, and try to give more notice in advance of them happening. I'll keep everyone posted.