MazdaManiaa

Mazda 3 Making Metal

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

I have an MZ3 that's been making metal in the filter for the last few months. It hasn't affected power since the dyno still shows 133 WHP. I currently use Pennzoil Patinum 5W-30. I tried changing it up from the 5W-20 I was using previously. The engine is also burning about a liter every 5000 km. The Blackstone Labs reports I sent out say that there's no significant traces of metals in the oil. Do the Duratec engines burn oil naturally? Or should I be looking at rings and a hone?

Blackstone 101716.pdf

2016-09-20 18.25.30.jpg

Edited by MazdaManiaa

As it says in your oil report their equipment won't detect the visible particles. I'd be a bit concerned myself to find that much in the filter. Are the particles aluminum or steel/iron?

That may point you in a direction as to where it's coming from.  Have you checked oil pressure & compression?  

As far as a litre useage every 5000kms that's nothing at all to be concerned about.

I'm no mechanic, these are just my initial thoughts :)

Generally, oil analysis flags a big change in substances rather than just the presence of. This is the indicator that notes something is wrong.

mine dosn't seem to burn any oil. but I will check out my filter next time I do an oil change to make sure its not spitting out shaving like that.

We sent an oil sample from our karts to the lab that is at Freightliner and they could tell us what specifically was making the metal particles. The metallurgy of various engine parts are different so the specific particles will tell you what is wearing out

On 3/24/2017 at 11:20 PM, conebasher said:

We sent an oil sample from our karts to the lab that is at Freightliner and they could tell us what specifically was making the metal particles. The metallurgy of various engine parts are different so the specific particles will tell you what is wearing out

Hey Mark, can you share one of their oil analyses with me? I am curious what they report on as I have only ever seen people post up their Blackstone oil reports. I always wanted to do this to see what might be going on in my car but never knew we had someone local. What do they charge for the analysis? I am just about to do an oil change so now would be a perfect time to collect a sample.

I got one from toromont cat  

Im curious to see what the freight liner analysis looks like as well. 

On 4/11/2017 at 11:46 PM, codewhore said:

Hey Mark, can you share one of their oil analyses with me? I am curious what they report on as I have only ever seen people post up their Blackstone oil reports. I always wanted to do this to see what might be going on in my car but never knew we had someone local. What do they charge for the analysis? I am just about to do an oil change so now would be a perfect time to collect a sample.

I'll look around for it, that was 10 years ago