Ice Cross Event & Race School - Saturday, Jan 7th

Jaarreedd

Official Event Details: 

What? It's a 2-part event:

1. Race School - Al Marcoux will be leading a racing school, designed to teach drivers the basics of racing, and techniques for getting around an ice track as quickly as possible. These techniques will be very applicable to any type of rally driving you wish to pursue.
* The Race School is mandatory if you wish to do hot laps of the ice race track for this event. No race school = no lapping
2. Ice-cross style event (driving on a frozen pond, on a track carved out of the snow, in an attempt to get around the course in the quickest times possible
* Please note that this will not be ice-cross in its true sense, as cones may or may not be used, however future events will stick to a regulated set of rules.

Why?
The purpose of this event is to start establishing a rally community here in Manitoba once again. This event will serve to get drivers out and interested, and is also convenient due to us sharing the track with the ice racers. In addition, the race school is an excellent opportunity for drivers to gain valuable skills from a seasoned expert!

When?

Saturday, January 7th, 2017

Schedule:
10:45 am - Driver's Meeting --> Location: Jordan's Trailer
11:20 am - Race School --> Location: Jordan's Trailer
12:30 pm - 2:00 pm - Ice-cross --> Let's rip!

Where?
Mazenod Pond
- Off Dugald road, across from the Tim Hortons --> Google Maps Link: https://goo.gl/maps/rBdiYsSNtv82

How Much?
Entry Fee: $60 --> This covers you for the excellent school, and the day's lapping.

What Do I Need?
1. A current SNELL “M” or “SA” helmet
    - SA is strongly encouraged
    - SA helmet mandatory for all vehicles with factory or aftermarket installed roll protection
2. WSCC Membership --> See here: http://www.wscc.mb.ca/join/

3. Winter Tires --> all season tires are not permitted

How Do I Sign Up?
Email rally@wscc.mb.ca, or text/call me at (204) 294-0286.
It will be much easier if you contact me in advance so that I can have a solid list of who is coming. If not, you must make sure that you have the required items to participate, and that you show up for the Racing School / Driver's Meeting @ 10:45am

To answer some common questions:
1. No, you do not need any special modifications to your vehicle. You can show up with your daily-driver (Toyota Tercel, or EVO X, doesn't matter), or your full blown race-car. This is about having fun no matter what you're in, and challenging your skills as a driver. The only requirement is that the vehicle be wider than it is tall (identical rules to AutoX)
2. Do I need a WSCC membership? Yes, this is mandatory for insurance purposes
3. Where can I get a helmet? You can either borrow one from a friend (lots of people in the city that do Autocross, or HPDE that have purchased helmets in the past. OR, go to Classic Motorworks or other speed shops in the city and pick one up for yourself
4. Am I going to have fun? Um, heck yes. This event allows you to do everything you already do when we get a snow storm, but without the worry of being charged for it.
5. Will I become Ken Block / Colin McRae once I've completed this event? No... But if you keep getting involved and participating, then you absolutely have a chance!

Let's get this community going, and have a blast doing it! Hope to see everyone out!

On 2017-01-02 at 10:52 PM, Jaarreedd said:

.......You can show up with your daily-driver (grand caravan, or EVO X, doesn't matter), or your full blown race-car......

Don't the rollover factors from autox apply?

Grand caravan would not be legal in autocross

Other point is to make sure all are aware that Mpi coverage does not cover damages incidents during the event.

Have a blast this weekend! :)

only if it has a pot belly stove in it...

You can register for the event here: MSR

Memberships can be had on DLB, MSR or in person by printing out the form off WSCC's website, filling it in and bringing it to the track.
Helmets can also be had from SpeedFactor Racing (Club Sponsor).

I just signed up! New winter tires and clutch install completed. The car feels a lot better now. I am ready for a fun day. When I bought my tires at Canadian Tire they guys at the service counter are into cars too and there is talk about this event with those guys. One of the guys also a subaru owner wants to join in but got scheduled to work Saturday.  I told him to get a trade and come :)

cboettch I am ready for you now :)

With regards to registration (thanks to the three that have already done so), you will need to move through the info pages to get to the actual registration page. You will need to answer the questions from top to bottom (read the hints as well) and click "ice cross" to register with the appropriate fee.

The "entry list" page shows up with your fellow competitors who are attending with you.

Thanks!

Thank you to the ice racing community for allowing us to join in yesterday. I had a lot of fun and hope to come out a couple more times this winter. It was a fun challenge getting the car do do what I wanted it to. But when I nailed it it felt soo good. Thank you Jaarreedd for starting this rally community I look forward to running some timed events.  Jaarreedd what was that subaru face book group called?

Just wanted to thank you all for coming out on Saturday! It was great to see everyone out there eager to learn some new skills, and I think the event turned out great.

Definitely thanks to @chkdsk for letting us share the track, @Al Marcoux for putting on the race school, and to all of the volunteers! @white_cross, @Corey, no problem at all!

Events will start to happen now, so be on the lookout for the next one. Tentatively 2 weeks from now we will do another event on the Saturday, with tons of lapping time between 12-4. I'll keep you posted!

Archived