• Announcements

• Jim Eh.

2017 Annual Banquet   10/12/2017

Saturday Octobre 28th Clarion Hotel 1445 Portage ave.  https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Clarion+Hotel+%26+Suites/@49.8818764,-97.1980597,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x52ea7381e7cf9c6d:0x95f65dafca26e11e!8m2!3d49.881873!4d-97.195871?hl=en   Be there or be square!
Jaarreedd

Gauging Interest - Ice Cross style event - Jan. 7th

I'm gauging interest in an event that would take place on January 7th.

Event: Icecross, done on the Ice Racing track during the test day for the Ice Racing guys. This is still very much being developed, however I need to see if there's enough committed interest so I can know if we can do it.

In addition to running the event on that day, there is a racing school being put on by the ice racers that would be invaluable for anyone looking to get more into racing. They will be teaching the basic maneuvers, so this would be a great opportunity to gain some experience and learn from the best around!

Location: Mazenod pond, on Dugald road across from Tim Hortons (within the city).

Cost: approx. $40 per person for multiple timed runs.

Vehicle: bring anything. You'll need a helmet, more details on that to come.

If you are interested in this event, please respond here, PM me, or text me at (204) 294-0286 and I will gather a list together. 

More details to come as this develops.

Interested in this,  and props getting some rally racing locally,  couple quick questions,  1. Is wscc membership needed? (for all newer drivers)  2. I assume there is only one  vehicle at a time (no tandum)  for the timed runs 3. For people looking to go sideways,  not too concerned about time but vehicle control (Ken blocks) any restrictions? Frowned upon?  4. Is The track being shared with the ice racers that day? How many runs are we anticipating to get ? Thanks again man looking forward to this 

Typically, there's an option for a day membership. 

Jruggz, I can't speak for the rallycross division, but at autocross you can drive however you want, as long as you don't hit every cone/marker and hold up the event. 

Mute your sound and skip to 1:10: 

This was at an ice lapping day with no course markers, so it'll be tighter for a rallycross event. 

@Jruggz: Great to hear you're interested! To answer your questions:

1. Yes, as Jim confirmed, any participation in WSCC events requires a membership. In addition, no different than Autocross, a helmet is required. These can be rented, or purchased from Classic Motorworks and other vendors.

2. Yes, one vehicle at a time, same as autocross. 

3. Get around the track however you want, just keep in mind the more sideways you are, you'll likely be running a wide racing line and be much slower than you could be. I would say that by teaching yourself to run a tight racing line with minimal sideways action, you'll actually be teaching yourself much better car control than simply putting the back end straight out.

4. Yes, the main event that day is the Ice Race test & tune, as well as the racing school. The school is actually what I want participants to be there for, as it will teach many valuable skills applicable to all forms of racing. If I had to guess I'd say you'll get 3-4 runs.

@Corey: thanks for the input as well, and for the video link!

Sweet! If I can find a sitter for my daughter I want to come. I have a question though. I have all season tires can I run them? I never got around to buying winter tires since I plan on selling the car and buying a wrx in spring.

Well I planned on showing up any way so…Yup ok I'm in. I'll bring the lotus!

Wait, what? No, no winter tires. 

Errr I'll bring the Subaru. Winter Conties are past thier prime but I'll be faster than Devin!

Uh, Ya, Devin, that's right! Game on!

2 minutes ago, cboettch said:

Errr I'll bring the Subaru. Winter Conties are past thier prime but I'll be faster than Devin!

sweet! I can't wait. New clutch is going in on saturday! So to find a sitter for the 7th

To Jaarreedd. from the Ice Racing part and a little tidbit, we "may" need to plow the Portage la Prairie track ahead of our race date because of scheduling for our plow dude and his holidays. This will mean that it could sit there completely unused the weekend prior to our event Feb 18/19 and you could capitalize on it. Not sure if that works for you or even if that is possible for us, just planting the seed right now. 

My budget is upside down right now and would be great if your area could help out. 

Video from Portage last year: 

Where do I register this year for my club membership? Also what else should I read through and be aware of before this first event? Any thing else I should do before the 7th?  I want to be fully prepared before getting there.

For the ice race school is it part of the $60 test and tune on the 7th or where do we sign up for that? 

1 hour ago, cboettch said:

+1

Yep,  got me a codriver. 

I may have a codriver too except he does not have a club membership. We often co drove his or my car last summer at autocross events and he just did a daily membership. I will see if he wants to get a membership when we do the clutch install on my subaru. No daily memberships like autocross eh?

Had I looked earlier I'd have tried to make something happen.  I'll keep an eye out for one closer to spring and see if digging out a beater car is feasable.  

In regards to the all season tire question, I am pretty positive that winter tires are mandatory for lapping, or at least they were at one point. Can't see that changing. 

On December 29, 2016 at 1:03 PM, cboettch said:

I am ready for you!