Gimli Track Model for rFactor - Online Racing League

Hi:

We are currently developing a track model for Gimli for rFactor, and the track itself is about 50% done. We think it will be ready by Christmas time.

Currently we have good track details from the start/finish line up to T4. The rest of the track is still to be modelled (bumps, cracks and curbs, scenery including tower and corner stations). I have to say the feel of the track is very realistic, and the guy (Bob Iriks) that has been in charge of the modeling of the bumps, cracks and curbs has been doing an excellent job. This is certainly not a laser generated model but it is accurate when you drive on it.
Currently there is no scenery around the track, but it will come later on (drag tower, corner stations etc)

Tonight I tested the latest release of the track with the 1976 Formula Atlantic mod for rFactor, and I'm posting a video of what the current track looks like below. I'm also attaching pics of the 1976 FA mod. Whomever did that mod added a picture in rFactor that was actually taken on the Gimli start/finish line (with Villeneuve and Brack(?)). Very suiting for this mod.

Once the track will be ready (again around Christmas time) we are thinking of starting an online racing league and welcome whoever would like to join.

And so this post is mostly a heads up for you to get organised should you want to join. rFactor can be tricky to setup, so plan ahead. You will need to get:

- rFactor 1: costs $24.99 to buy here http://rfactor.net/web/rf1/buyonline2/

- Here are the system requirements for your computer. I run mine on a middle line laptop on 3 screens and average 200FPS (i.e. I don't have a gaming video card). So you don't need anything really fast to have a decent game experience

Runs Best With:
– Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 processor
– Windows 7, 8, 10
– 2GB RAM (4GB on Steam)
– Geforce 7900 GT or Radeon X1900 GT
– 256 MB video RAM
– DirectX 9.0c
– 2.0 GB of hard drive space for installation
– Internet connection required for system activation, enabled network adapter required for gameplay

- A steering wheel (though you can probably race on a keyboard - and some people have been faster on keyboards). I bought a G27 last year on Kijiji for $120. I have a Logitech Momo I can sell if somebody is interested

- You don't need more than one screen, but if you do you will have to somehow get your computer to recognise them all, and have rFactor split the screen buffer onto them

- Contact Brian Iriks / myself to get more information on the mods you need to install to get the Gimli track and whichever series we decide go with 

In any case PM for more details if you are interested.

JS

15109483_10157757960110057_8449186542505923606_n.jpg

15134735_10157757960730057_1444203197337777272_n.jpg

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2713.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Beau said:

Wow that is awesome! Great job!

BTW, how did you manage to simulate a knucklehead overdriving his car in front of you like that? Did Corey lend his driving style to the sim as well? ;)

The AI are configurable in many ways, and they can be both very fast and very consistent.

Here though the issue is that the ideal line we've defined for the AI to follow gets too close to the edges of the track and includes changes of direction that are too abrupt. And so the AI end up swerving a lot (you see that in T1/T3/T5) on entry, and come off the track in T5/T8. You do need to give them a bit of room for now.
I was getting bored testing the track by myself, and asked the designer to quickly drop an ideal line so I could include AI. It will be fixed for the final release of the track. We mostly intend on racing against each other though, without AI.

JS

Here's an update on the development of the Gimli track mod for rFactor. The track surface is complete, though there is still a few spots that should probably be smoothed out. The guy that's designing the model has been very thorough, check out the position of the cracks, patches and bumps, the work he is doing is amazing.
We now have proper rumble strips in T1/T5/T8/9 and bricks in T4/T5.

The latest revisions have been focused on adding scenery. There's a tower, guardrail (though it will be relocated as it's currently too far from the start/finish line), concession buildings and corner stations. It feels real.

We've tested all sorts of cars on this model, from Formula Vees to modern F1s.

We have been adding and removing bumps and cracks to try and reproduce the grip losses we see at the real track. For this we are overlaying logged data from the real track with data we gathered from the simulator. I am attaching a screenshot of it. We're getting there, though we are currently lacking overall grip. Which is probably partly due to the tire model for the FV car we are using, and the actual grip of the track.

15110239_10157774302605057_299572422653907617_o.jpg

Here's a quick video I made tonight of a lap of the latest model. I'm not used to the Formula Atlantic as I otherwise spend most of the time with the low power Formula Vee model. I thought a Formula Atlantic video would be a bit more interesting than the 3rd-4th-3rd-4th-3rd gear action of a Formula Vee at Gimli

We had our first common free practice a few days ago, and it went very well. The server we are using is very fast and there was no glitch or network delays. We're still on track to start a league in the new year.

JS

15134719_902779413186441_98132070009061373_n.jpg

15232091_902124069918642_5519262443755929525_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The track is getting to look very realistic with all corner stations in, and most buildings modeled. We even have a service road and grand stands. Check out the side by side comparison of turn 4 between real and simulated. It is amazing.

We've been having nights of lapping in Lotus 23s and I've spent more time lapping than actually taking good screenshots. The pictures below are a quick overview and don't show how much details the track currently includes.

PM if you'd like to get help setting up a computer to join the  lapping sessions.

It's the cheapest and most realistic way to road race in the winter. And there's no questions as to who who has the strongest engine or better tires, we're all equal and the server will kick you out if you're trying to cheat.

JS

IMG_2924.JPG

IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2928.JPG

Edited by Jean-Sebastien Stoezel

It's difficult to show any sort of quality details in a picture considering the rather harsh limitation on this forum for attachment size. We're currently adding texture to the track which adds to the realistic feel when driving.
Proof of the realistic feel: T1 and its approach feel equally dangerous in the simulator when driving an open wheel, with the proximity of the tower, wood fence, RVs and other containers.

15541282_919288911535491_1345681247768568278_n.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter:

The wheel controller is a G27 modified with a quick release attachment. The actual steering wheel is a Momo D cut 10, which I also use on the Formula Vee.
The dashboard is a custom 480x272 TFT with shift and warning LEDs that I designed to be identical to the PCU-8 from McLaren: http://www.mclaren.com/appliedtechnologies/products/item/display-unit-pcu-8d/
I've developed a plugin so the display gathers telemetry from rFactor (it works with iRacing too).

JS

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello, I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd like to become more familiar with the track at Gimli.

Is there somewhere we can download the track?

I have rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, etc