Event #15 September 18th

Sam

After a heartbreaking loss in a heated battle on the last event of the year Charles went home and did some serious studying. During a late night of watching videos frame by frame, updating spreadsheets, and likely consuming a cold beverage or two... we found that Charles sucks at slaloms and I am afraid of high speed sweepers. In the end he did take the fastest scratch time by .02 seconds.

Here is our best runs side by side:

Huge thanks to everyone over the past season, I had a great time racing with you all. Can't wait to get back out there!

I keep watching the video and it's not as simple as Charles being better in the sweepers and Sam being better in the slaloms. Sam actually gets the lead in the opening sweeper and through the slalom but Charles then makes up some time in the sweeper into the North pivot but Sam stays ahead. It's not until just after the crossover that Charles gains on Sam going over the South X but Sam actually pulls out a big lead through the sweeper into the South pivot. But it's the braking into the pivot and through the pivot that Charles just dominates. If you look at the element right before the South pivot, as they approach it Sam looks to be almost a full car length ahead, but by the last cone in the chute (as the left turn begins) Charles is a few feet behind and then by the last cone in the pivot Charles is ahead.

You should take the video and sync at specific reference marks to really see where the time was won/lost.

You're right on Shawn!  That analysis matches with my spreadsheet!  ;)  Pretty much the only pivot I've 'dominated' all year.  On the other hand, that North slalom dominated me (ouch!) going south - argh.  I cringe every time I watch it.  Sam also blows me away off the starting line with a good 1/2 to a full car length lead going into the first slalom.

So much more time on that course!  Glad I got one element right!

Thanks Sam for botching the pivot!!!!

When Beau co-drove with me on Saturday we were running SoloStorm and I think he said that from the start to the first element he pulled out a 0.3 second lead...that's what happens when you don't care about the clutch in the car I guess. 8-)

I might have to do a video compare like you guys did.

Archived