Autoslalom School - Aug 14

Beau

Hi everyone,

We plan to hold another autoslalom school on Sunday, Aug 14. It is not up on MSR yet, so you cannot register just yet, but it will be soon.

Can we please see a quick show of hands to know who is interested in taking the school? It will be a Level1/Level 2 mixture so it doesn't matter if you are an advanced student who has taken the L1 before, or not. Either way, the instructors will teach you, push you to new levels, and help you become a better driver.

More details will follow, once we've confirmed everything. For now we just need to know that there are enough students interested to hold another school. So please reply here and if you know of anyone else who wants to attend, please ask them to reply or you can let us know for them.

Who wants another Autoslalom school?

We are interested, PROVIDED that we can get the same seat time/runs (co-driving, skipping the line of cars to enter the track). So that would be 2 people/1 car.

If we're sharing time, then I wouldn't attend, and would register only my wife.

Can you verify the event format and see how that would be accomplished? Thanks!

Cheers

Hi Valter. Great question, and I'm sure it applies to other people who want to share a car as well. So let me answer it in general terms, whether you share a car with your wife or a friend.

Sharing a car at a school is no problem at all. You will each get the same amount of seat time as every other student. Here's how it works:

For schools, we usually have 4-5 small run groups instead of the 2 large run groups that we usually have at a regular autocross. It's dependent on total number of students of course, but let's just use an example where we have 20 students split into 5 run groups (A,B,C,D,E), and each run group has 4 drivers. Co-drivers are placed in different run groups, e.g. A and C. While group A students are driving, group B students are in transition or resting, and the other 12 from C, D, and E are working. We rotate a lot more frequently and always have one group ready to go next, so as to eliminate any delay during changeovers. This works really well for codriven cars, as the drivers all get equal seat time and the car has a bit of a chance to rest in between. Also, this means that EVERY student gets personalized one-on-one coaching on every singe run.

Pricing is on the webpage wscc.mb.ca/autoslalom. Schools are $150 including a credit toward a future event in 2016.

Got a reply that Charles is also interested, and may be bringing another person, so that's 1 maybe 2 more.

Sounds like we have about 7-10 interested parties so far. I think we will open registration and see if we can get enough members to sign up to make it a go.

Green light for the school! We are a go! :D

Here is a message from our school director:

WSCC Autoslalom is hosting its annual Level 2 school on Sunday, August 14th at St. Andrews Airport.

Level 2 was designed to help drivers find ways to get faster regardless of their current skill level. The curriculum is highly adaptable and focuses on identifying hurdles early so racers can work on overcoming them throughout the day with tons of seat time and personalized instruction.

Whether you just started racing this year or you regularly win your class, you will get your money’s worth and gain new skills to help you grow as a driver.

The school is limited to just 20 drivers. Sign up now at http://msreg.com/Lvl2

Yes it is. Sorry if that wasn't made clear. 

The general curriculum will be more for Level 2, but the instructors will adapt and tailor the lessons to each driver as required. So it's okay if someone is just learning to autocross, they will still have a blast and get lots of seat time, and our instructors will be able to still teach the Level 1 fundamentals, no problem.

8 hours ago, NOITALL said:

I'm trying to register but the system says it can't match the WSCC membership number.
Josh @Nhil can you please check again, I thought you'd fixed that last event. Thanks!

Everything on my end looks fine. I tried wiping your details and re-entering them. Give it another go and see if it works.

Registration has been extended until Friday evening to accommodate a few late requests.

We need a few more students or the school is in jeopardy of being cancelled. :( If we cannot get enough students registered by Friday night, it will be cancelled. We are already working on backup plans. Sorry to have to say this, as it's one of the most fun events of the whole year! But it cannot function with too few bodies. :(

I'm happy to announce that the school has filled up and it should be a great event! :D

Thanks for the suggestion Mark. That was our backup plan, but I'm glad we're able to hold a school this Sunday after all.

I just want to say thank you to the instructors and organizers of the school! everything went off without a hitch and i think everybody had an amazing time. Was a lot of fun working the course and watching people at the beginning of the day improve so much to the last. 

.... If i could make ONE suggestion would be that it would be amazing if you could have a video playing of an ideal lap line (or as close as any of them can get) that would just be playing on loop at the trailer, so that people can spend a bit of time watching where "the line" was on course. maybe even at full speed and one slowed down slightly. I felt a bit discouraged since it had been a while since i had been on track and had a hard time adjusting/remembering where i should be on each element, and just being told to get on line wasn't helping me cause i honestly did not know where i was supposed to go. When i let the instructors drive my car they were not able to keep it on line either as they were learning the car as they went, so wasn't as much of a help as hoped, plus only got one look at it very quick. Just a thought!

Had a great time! great way to learn a new car even as a veteran!

Good idea JT.

We could print a large course map and draw the ideal line on it, showing where to position the car at each cone. It would be similar to what Speed World does for their track map that you can see while you're waiting in line before you go racing. Their map even shows braking points. If we printed a very large map like that and had it mounted on the side of the trailer, we could point out certain spots and use it as a teaching tool either in the morning or maybe even between runs.

I'm not sure how we could do a video, but it might be worth a try. Maybe we do a lap in a car with a video camera strapped to the front bumper or something. Even then, it would be tough to organize that and get good footage and then download that to something and loop it. We cannot use the timing laptop for that purpose. The club doesn't have an iPad to use for that kind of thing, but it would be neat if we did, or if an instructor brought one for that purpose. Anyway good idea, maybe the instructors can figure out something for next year.

The map would be a very helpful tool as well to talk about key cones, and some screen shots from an incar could be printed and posted at each element to show where the car location was while going past said element to see car positioning. (sounds like arts and crafts now) this can help instructors afterward discuss specific and draw out where the differences were. 

As for video, a decent computer monitor works, but the issue is glare from the sun. could be as easy as posting a youtube link to all the school participants from an instructors in-car camera when they they set up the course. Then everybody can view to their hearts desire on their own mobile phone while siting in their car prior to their run. could hand the link out at the event so people still get their walk through to learn the course. 

Just some thoughts that's all! 

Archived