July 10 Gimli AX Course Setup

Hey everyone,

Beau has posted in this thread the times for when we can start building a course for autocross up at Gimli, and that is 12:00 - 1:10 on Sunday during the break for Road Race. I am looking for anyone who can be up at the track around 11:30 (at the latest) that is willing to help with the course set-up. I am hoping that some of the vetrans will be there to help but really I can use anyone's help.

My plan is to draw up a course map between now and Sunday that I can hand out to whomever is going to help. Meet at the small trailer at 11:30 to discuss the course, collect cones and load into cars so we can split up into 2 or 3 teams that will tackle different parts of the track. I want to be ready to head onto course the second Road Race gives us the green light.

As I don't have scale maps and measurements of the track (I am going to try to get some) it makes this a non-exact science. As best I can I will provide measurements but as we only have one measuring device, we will have to pace it out to get the basic layout and I can measure it afterwards.

I figure we will have 45 minutes to get the basic course laid down, then 25 minutes to measure/tweak, give it a test drive and tweak some more as necessary. We also have to mark each pylon with a dot of paint so we can tear the course down so road race can finish their day. At 3:00 I would like those same volunteers to help put the course back up as they will be familiar with the layout. This should not take more than about 15 minutes which gives us time to do a final test drive if needed.

Please post up hear if you can help out.

Shawn

Jim, I can drive your car up there if you'd like. I'll even put gas in it!

I would love to do lunch with the course setup crew, but I don't know if we'll have time between course setup and setting up the rest of the stuff. We have to be read for registration to open around 2:00 or 2:30. If the next crew arrives around 1:30-2:00 to setup the trailer, registration, timing, speakers, etc. then the course guys could leave for lunch while those guys finish setting up on site.

Who else is coming to help that day?

Waiting for a reply from the lunch truck if he will stay for awhile after the RR crew finish their lunch. Will post reply here.

EDIT:  Yes I was asking Beau. He has an official Subie endorsment on his license.

Or we can snack before they stop for lunch.

Beau, you don't have to pay for the gas for my car ... just the diesel for my truck ;)

Extreme Fries will be the on site culinary experts for the event. They will be there until the end of the RR lunch break and apparently depending on some kind of arm wrestle match  ;), may stay later for our event (but no guarantee). But this means the set up crew can eat before the RR guys break for lunch.

16 hours ago, f0rd said:

Shawn, I will be at the track by 11:30 to help out with course setup.

You take the start..I'll take the finish...lets have some fun!! To hell with Kosta and his FTD! :D

Also, how does this guy named @Beau have a +74 rep! Has anyone heard him talk? He's a real jerk! lol

1 hour ago, justkickin said:

You take the start..I'll take the finish...lets have some fun!! To hell with Kosta and his FTD! :D

Also, how does this guy named @Beau have a +74 rep! Has anyone heard him talk? He's a real jerk! lol

So what are the chances that we'll have a drag start? :D

Damn, I forgot to register for the event!!!

Sorry no drag start. Hey Nish, any chance you want to run in some other class than Mod? There's no way we can compete with you. Pllllleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssse? :D

10 hours ago, nishanna said:

Now that's what I'm talking about! :faint2:

Just hit the last few cones in the same style Nish. 

The gtr ripped out a 10' piece of tar right at the finish with the r comps as he stomped the throttle. The tar must have whipped up 20' in the air, was a sight to see 

That was an awesome course as it really displayed who got the better launch and reaction time. All our videos were bouncy. 

7 hours ago, codewhore said:

Damn, I forgot to register for the event!!!

Sorry no drag start. Hey Nish, any chance you want to run in some other class than Mod? There's no way we can compete with you. Pllllleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssse? :D

You're kidding right? I've competed in 3 events over the last 2 years and maybe 6 over the last 3 years. I'm expecting most of the novices to beat me. :blink:

2 hours ago, krank said:

A huge personal thank you to all those who help with the teardown at Gimli. That was amazingly fast. I even made it home before midnight. Thanks for all the help guys and gals. 

Actually, thank you for your time and efforts. It was a hot and tiresome, but fun, day; I can only imagine how it was for you that was there even earlier than most of us, and still carried the responsibility/trailer later on.
Cheers everyone.

Yes thank-you to everyone for all the hard work yesterday, especially for those that helped me with the course set-up and tear-down...twice . As always Gimli is a challenging day as we only are out there once a year so things are never quite as smooth as our home turf of St. Andrews but I think we pulled it off.

For everyone that has never worked timing, you need to know how hard everyone works and the stress they all feel when we have timing glitches. We know everyone wants to be out racing, so do they, and when stuff starts getting glitchy the tension gets pretty high for everyone. I know it's frustrating be sitting in your car just waiting or to get re-runs because of a timing glitch especially if you put in a great lap. So thank-you you all for being great sports about everything and taking it in stride and to the timing crew (all all the people that were called in to help deal with issue) thanks for getting us through the day and getting everyone their full 4 timed runs.

A big THANK YOU to Jim for sure!

As for the timing issues.......well that's racin'.  Anything can happen on any given day, all you can do is your best.

I am not sure who was in the trailer experiencing all of those missed trips at the start, but my hat goes off to you for keeping your cool and getting us through it.

No worries, I had a blast even though my best runs didn't get a time (it happens).  My tires on the other hand are not very happy with me right now.

8 minutes ago, coach said:

A big THANK YOU to Jim for sure!

As for the timing issues.......well that's racin'.  Anything can happen on any given day, all you can do is your best.

I am not sure who was in the trailer experiencing all of those missed trips at the start, but my hat goes off to you for keeping your cool and getting us through it.

No worries, I had a blast even though my best runs didn't get a time (it happens).  My tires on the other hand are not very happy with me right now.

My goodness man, I was working time with Curtis when you were on the track. I asked Curtis if you had a Laser Jammer or something in your Corolla, because every time you went for a run the timer would reset as soon as you tripped the start beam... :( I think I remember letting you run alone on the track to make sure you could start and finish your re-re-run...
Crazy day for sure.

Thanks to everyone who helped out yesterday. It was a hectic day, not without faults, but we all got to race and leave for home before it got dark (barely, but still counts!).

To all those who got there early to set up the course and run around like maniacs to get off the track on time, THANK YOU! Awesome work guys! You guys all put in a long day.

To the guys in the timing trailer who dealt with more than their fair share of stress yesterday, and still managed to get everyone all their runs, THANK YOU!

To everyone who helped pack up the trailer and collect cones at the end of the day before leaving, that REALLY saved us all a bunch of time. THANK YOU!

Without awesome people putting in a good effort, that day could have gone really bad. I'm happy we all chipped in to make it work.

Lastly, I want to say another big THANKS! to Jim who was probably the hardest working guy yesterday for the whole day. I think he put in 14 hours by the end of it, and wasn't just the guy hauling the trailer. He did so much more. He helped with pretty much everything from trailer packing the night before, towed it both ways, helped with event setup, course design and setup, packing at the end of the day, took care of some safety items, and everything in between as well. It's guys like this that we need more of and everyone should be thankful and appreciative of his effort.

Huge thanks to Jim for all he did and does for this club and the autoslalom program. We can't leave at Beau and Shawn for all the extra time they put in. It isn't easy keeping this group of vagabonds on the track with tracks to race on. Great job guys! 

All I can say about timing is glad it wasn't me in that trailer for either run group. You guys did a bang up job! 

And the weather forecasters for being so wrong! I expected the worst and the rains held out for all runs. 

Thank you for the comments but it took a combined effort from a bunch of people to actually pull everything together! It started way before the event and will continue for a while after. It is quite amazing what the combined effort actually produces, which is a first class - top notch event EVERY time!

There are not many clubs that can make that claim! Especially going 80 Kms from their home track, setting up a COMPLETE event and being able to work out problems til the last run. All in one day! 

Autoslalom needs and will continue to need help with events in the future. Everyone is more than welcome to come a little early and learn what it takes to actually run events. You will be surprised.

Archived