honda s2000 seat

beemaz

This will be my first year using my s2000 for auto x, so my question is for the s2000 guys. Is the OEM seat good enough for auto x, or do you recommend replacing it, and if so any suggestions thanks in advance. (bride,recaro,sparco)

It's good enough.  Lock the seatbelt and you're not going anywhere.  Move the seat back a few clicks, jerk the shoulder strap and hold it tight with your shoulder, then slide the seat forward until it's hard to breathe.  Poor-man's harness!  Works in every car except Corvettes with their goofy two-reel seatbelt.  

With that said, I love my Recaro Pole Position!  Don't sell your stock seat - they're a LOT of money to replace and non-stock seats decrease the value of the car considerably.  

Depends on your size. I didn't mind the 00-05 seats but I find the 06-09 seats a little high for my preference. I never had issues with support or conform but my eye level was nearing the mirror and reduced visibility. I'm 6" for reference.

Your stock seat will be fine for autocross. I wouldn't worry about it. There are far worse stock seats out there that people race with on a normal basis - Miata, Corvette, Civic, etc.

I really like Corey's seat, however it's quite low. Going from his car to a stock seat, it feels like the stock seat is way too high. Visibility might be an issue for taller guys, as Chris mentioned. But then going the other way, from a stock seat into Corey's car, his feels too low, IMO. I like the feel of the low position, however it's tough to see cones in the RF corner, so that can be a disadvantage if you're short. Anyway, whatever you have in your car, you'll eventually get used to it.

If you want to try before you buy, you might be able to do some research on grid this summer. There are normally at least a few S2000s that race with us. If you ask nicely, I'm sure a few guys with aftermarket seats will let you sit in their car to get a feel for seating position, visibility, comfort, etc. If you do test out a few, pay attention to the ingress/egress. Race seats can be awesome once you're in there, but they can be a real PITA to enter and exit 2-3 times everyday.

One other thing to consider is classing. Street Classes don't permit changing the seat, but anything Street Touring or higher and you're fine. If you aren't sure what class you're in yet, then I'd advise saving your money for now and getting used to racing what you have first.

Hello beemaz, I think I recognize your name from s2ki.com.

One other thing to consider is classing. Street Classes don't permit changing the seat, but anything Street Touring or higher and you're fine. If you aren't sure what class you're in yet, then I'd advise saving your money for now and getting used to racing what you have first.

This.

Check rollover requirements for Gimli.  I think you need more than the stock roll hoops for Friday lapping.  For the Saturday Time Attack, you definitely need a roll bar.  

I think I'd find the race seat more useful at autocross than at Gimli.  The road course is much less violent, almost bordering on peaceful, as you only have a 8 or 9 direction changes per lap.  If you're buying a seat, put it in and leave it.  I was fine with daily driving, but found it a little irritating when doing 4+ errands after work.  My family and non-racing friends find it nearly impossible to get in and out with the top up.  How bad do you want it?  LOL!  

I can change my seat through 3 different height steps on the Buddy Club sliders.  I have it on the medium height.  It's about 1.5" or 2" lower than stock.  FYI: the Buddy Club sliders have TERRIBLE welds, you need to get them rewelded before using them.  

• 3 weeks later...

What would a pair of black s2000 seats sell for? I am considering a pair for my 73 celica.

It all depends on the number and type of stains.

I saw this post about switching seats and thought this would be a good place to ask. If you guys have s2000 seats you are planing on switching for aftermarket keep me in mind for your stock ones. Here is an example: http://www.fewmo.com/toyota/toyota-celica-interior-seats-11lrdllc.html/attachment/toyota-celica-interior-seats-lrdllc

Archived