Any advice/tips/suggestions for a new guy?

AlexD

After competing in RTI during last years ice racing campaign, and set to run in studs this year, I figured the next logical step is road racing. I waited months for the ideal donor car to be traded in at the dealership that I work at, but it finally came in! A 98' Integra RS local 1-owner

I've started the tear down process and am just about through the "basic maintenance" portion of things, as well as started the accumulation of parts. I'm going to be ordering a pre-bent spec cage from the guys at CSC, and I've also become fairly well versed in the new classification system so that I could decide on what I could and couldn't do.

With all that being said, is there anything that any of the seasoned vets might suggest I focus on? For example,

Would it be more beneficial to focus on maybe spending some points on power as opposed to chassis/suspension?

What is the ideal tire (Treadwear or grip)?

Is it worthwhile to pony up the extra dough and take the point hit to run an R-Compound?

Am I correct in seeing that brakes are essentially fair game without much penalty?

Is a fire suppression system mandatory?

is LSD a must?

any info, questions, suggestions, or banter is welcome :)

Keep it simple and less weight.

This is your first season it takes 500 laps to get consistent ( a season) so making your car more complicated to set up or whatever it is you want to do to it, might not help at first.

IMO better off being smooth, Hit your marks . Slow in fast out, relax, bring it home running.

Your lap times will improve automatically with this info. No matter your set up even a crappy set up. You'll only realise that it really does push not just i thinks its pushing.

Don't use a timing device that you can see while driving this will only make you try too hard and end up over driving your car. Look at your times between races.

Tires is the best investment vs weight penalty.

The last thing you should do in modifying your racer is add power.

Seat time is your best investment in improving lap times and weight reduction aside from buying lightweight parts is free.

Money should go into brakes, tires and suspension.

On your choice of car, the front brakes can be easily upgraded with off the shelf parts for cheap and you don't need bling suspension parts to have something that works.

FWIW, I'm contemplating parting out my civic racer so if you need something (brakes, suspension etc etc), shoot me a text. It's all well sorted.

I would not spend money on go fast parts on a "new" racecar. The car has not likely ever been driven as hard as it will be on the track. Even though you have one of the most reliable cars available you will find all the old weak parts this year as they break/wear out. Get a set of Falcon tires, high performance hawk front pads, OE rear pads and go get as much seat time as possible. The car will be easier to learn to drive at the limit without race suspension, brakes and tires.

PS.  I assume a new timing belt is part of your basic maintenance!!

Archived