Sign in to follow this  
nopistons

WCMA Re-Branding Presentation

At the last meeting (there's a hint there) it was said that WSCC has THE most membership of all western motorsport clubs.....combined.

We are part of the WCMA coined "BIG 3"

NASCC

CSCC

WSCC

We are all about 230ish to 250ish members. As of the AGM in October, we had the most.

WCMA had noted to me that they need buy-in from the BIG 3 in order to have this go through, us slightly more important as we had the largest group.

Does the WCMA have a business plan in place to show us where our $2,500 contribution of the $6,000 pot total goes? 

I'd be concerned that we would pay in without getting an equivalent value out of it.  WCMA Transfer payments...

I'm not opposed especially if they can help with contract negotiations with Gimli Motorsport park, and or the potential venues in Winnipeg for Auto-x. 

I like the idea of consistent branding and a central hub.  If someone moves from Ontario to Winnipeg, how do they find the WSCC if they don't know it's called the WSCC?  They can't just ask anyone because very few know about us.  

Agreed on finding out more about what the admin money goes towards.  I can only speak for autoslalom, but we have pretty clearly-defined plans and goals for our progress.  I'd hate to have someone come in and tell us that we can't do that and instead must do something that's irrelevant to Manitoba autoslalom.  

I'd hate to have someone come in and tell us that we can't do that and instead must do something that's irrelevant to Manitoba autoslalom.  

There is the potential to have this exact thing happen. Its not just a concern for AS either.

If WCMA takes hold, there may be specific rules on how we promote and where.

I like the idea of consistent branding and a central hub.  If someone moves from Ontario to Winnipeg, how do they find the WSCC if they don't know it's called the WSCC?  They can't just ask anyone because very few know about us.  

Start Google then log out (if you are automatically signed in so Google doesn't remember your profile) and Google "Manitoba Autoslalom". Wait you don't have to because you can guess the answer to that one.

Anyway, I would be warm to the idea of floating under a national umbrella for the sake of unity but given my past history and others stories of dealings with our "National Body", interest in our dealings and operations does not seem to be a great concern to many out there.

Promotion is possible with the status quo just the same as it could with a "Unified" group. Is a matter of fact in certain instances I could see multiple interested parties lobbying for the same thing carry more weight than a single group.

Unless I'm missing something, that presentation seems like it wants the WCMA to act as if it's a corporate entity.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the WCMA (like our WSCC) not a volunteer-run organization? Half of what that presentation is asking for would require tons of time and/or paid employees for all the promotion, advertising, social media work, etc that it's calling for.

You are correct. WSCC would act as a "Gentleman's Franchise".

The costs associated with this is $10/member in each club that would be paid to WCMA.

Good idea with lots of potential.

Worrying about exactly where the dollars go at this point is probably missing the forest for the trees.

I agree with Kosta (first time ever?) that workload is probably the biggest concern at this point. It looks similar to the SCCA model in America, but the SCCA is a LOT bigger than WCMA.ca would be. They have serious resources. It's clear that Gerard put a ton of time and effort into this proposal, and that's truly commendable, but one committed volunteer isn't enough to keep a ship that big sailing. SCCA clubs survive on volunteerism, but the SCCA itself has many full-time staff. I don't see WCMA.ca running much differently, just on a much smaller scale.

I can see many potential upsides from a growth standpoint, but we would need an idea of the level of time commitment required to start and keep it going.