Sign in to follow this  
Jim Eh.

2015 Gimli TO DO

Post your questions or concerns for this event here.

It's on my list to contact Hamish and get the low-down on all the little details and I will although I have not had a chance yet to do that. As you guys know I'm gone from Tuesday to Tuesday plus have booked days on my return. I have it on my calendar to contact him on Saturday the 31st. 

Hamish - between now and then can you put together a quick Coles-notes summary of what we'll need to take care of? Also if the Hotel accommodations need to be booked with the Hotel ahead of time then let me know and I'll reach out to someone in our group. 

Thanks,. 

Just spoke with Hamish and got a pile of good info about Gimli. I'm compiling a list and will report back appropriately.

One part to note is that the schedule is different this year as per the Supp Regs. Both days are racing days instead of Enduro on Sunday.

I'll put this together later and get back to everyone. 

This post moved here. Obviously the first two sentences of the post has to do with Event #4 @ the Ski Pond.

Hmmm ,looking for ways to entice teenagers from the high school to help out. I suppose drugs and alcohol are out of the question? j/k  :pound:

This post moved here. Obviously the first two sentences of the post has to do with Event #4 @ the Ski Pond.

Hmmm ,looking for ways to entice teenagers from the high school to help out. I suppose drugs and alcohol are out of the question? j/k  :pound:

if thats what it comes down to, can we write them off as a 'club expense' 

Main Organizers:

Susan & Peter Holfeuer

Gimli Ice Festival Organizers

204-642-7099

pholfeuer@lifetouch.com

Track Security:

Gimli Car Club

John Hykawy

jtcb@mts.net

204-641-5444 

* The have 12 volunteers ready for race day

John is our main contact and is the guy that normally runs the gate and is given a radio during race day. Who is our contact person for him? Would that be Bryce? Or someone else?

.- He relayed things run fairly smooth and the only issues he has are people claiming to be with the race teams. I’ve asked for clarification on protocol on what we can relay out ahead of time to the drivers.

Schedule:
- Got a few hiccups/snags in the schedule late last night after speaking with all of you. Al and I am working on it and will touch base with the group once I make a bunch more phone calls.

Porta Crapper: is arranged by Gimli Ice Racing Committee and according to Susan H it’s good to go.

For Al M:
Is St John’s organized? Or whoever we’re going to use?

For Track:

Tim G has contact info for Travis Toomey regarding track production. We’re going to go with a slightly smaller track for a few reasons; 1) less worker stations, 2) Easier for race control to keep in touch

Also need to know if we have Mr Plow organized during plow break for both days?

Friday Night invitation-only VIP get together:

There is an event on for Friday night for the dignitaries, Ice Fest Committee and other reps from respected areas. We were asked to attend and on our list I have:

- Hamish Donaldson

- Scott MacDonald

- Darin Wach (President)

- Sarah Wach

- Jordan Sharples

- Al Marcoux (Ice Race Director)

- Bryce Stewart

- Shane Stewart

- Tentative: Tim and Gloria Gordienko

That is: 8 confirmed and 2 tentative.

*** A festival pass is required for the Friday evening attendees. They are available at the door to the reception for $5 per person. Basically it will cover the food you will scarf down during the event. Most are fine with paying $5 although if you would like to be reimbursed then turn your pass in to Al at the end of the event and him and I will figure out the refund to you from representing the club.

Festival Passes:

- Race Drivers, Pitt Crew, Families of Race Drives, Workers and Organizers are NOT required to purchase Festival Passes for $5 pp unless A) They wish to participate in other Festival Activities or B) they wish to support the festival.

Passes are available for purchase at the festival headquarters (March 6-8) which will be in the Lake Winnipeg Visitor Center that's located across from the Lakeview Resort

CJ Radio Gimli Interviews:

Adam Tarnowski has been put in to contact with Al Marcoux plus some emails back and forth. He is going to touch base with Al on Monday the 23rd.

Rooms at Lakeview:

Last call is already on the forums. Michael Laser said 20 or so are confirmed out of 30 that were blocked off (thanks Al for that) and the spares will be released on Monday night.

DLBRacing:

I need to post once schedule is confirmed. Al and I agreed on $140 for the weekend even though insurance is cheaper as it’s a two day event.

Workers Lunches and Breakfast:

Already confirmed with Lakeview that there will be worker lunches at 11am both days. Workers/volunteers only are going to be in the lunch area and I’ll confirm where ahead of time. Drivers are on their own to make it easier for Lakeview to police who is paying. Drivers are welcome to use the restaurant.

They are opening the breakfast restaurant at 7:30am rather than their normal 8am to accommodate our schedule.

Saturday Evening:

Susan and Peter Holfeuer alluded to some Mixer for WSCC for Saturday evening during an email today. That’s the first I have heard about anything like this as Al has not heard anything either. I relayed back that we’re ok for Saturday evening and on our own.  

That’s it for now. I’ll fill in the blanks as they come up.

Thanks. 

Please add Cara Stewart to the list, and is it $140 for each day, or for both together?

Please add Cara Stewart to the list, and is it $140 for each day, or for both together?

Regarding the $140 - Still chatting to Al about that. Looks like it's $140 for the entire weekend although I will confirm. 

Jordan you will have to post how to do registration for two days on DLB.

Jordan you will have to post how to do registration for two days on DLB.

Yep it's on my list. Still trying to finalize the new schedule for Sunday with the 6 RTI races in it. 

Thanks. 

Sorry.... not trying to push. Just thinking out loud.

Sorry.... not trying to push. Just thinking out loud.

Quit pushing!!!!!! HAHA! 

Actually I had the DLB part listed above in the long thread saying I'm waiting for approval on Sched. 

It's good that we have a group like this to keep us together. Thanks. 

Link (in the Ice Racing announcement) to Gimli pier on the home page of the WSCC website under calendar events does not work. Link just loads google maps. 

Follow up for Gimli:

Bryce:

- How did you make out with the two corner workers per station mandate? I don't want you leaving your car to work the track.

- Have you been in contact with John Hykawy from the car club for track security? I will have a list for Pit Access for him for the weekend.

Tim G: Your good with the track guy? Do you have a Mr. Plow for the weekend?

Al M: you got Ambulance or whatever?

We have:

- ASN

- WCMA has been notified.

- Workers lunches are good to go for 11am both days and a 2nd confirmation email has been sent

- Schedule is finally online, sorry for the delay. It actually took 10 hours with all the phone calls and approvals to get it done.

- DLB is finally setup, sorry for the delay.

- There is no function for Saturday evening; we are all on our own.

- Entry fee for the entire weekend is $140

Sunday will be a tight schedule with some hard times:

1) Need the workers meeting to be done on time and track hot for 10am

2) Workers lunch is at 11am regardless if we had 2 races or 3 for RTI on Sunday.

3) RTI will need to get their 6 x 12min races in during the day starting at 10am sharp

4) The 30 min Studded Enduro/Shoot-out will be shortened to 20 mins if necessary to accommodate the schedule for the worker appreciation. ** this is our flexibility in our schedule and the studded guys know this. We can also shorten the studded practice as necessary from 10 mins to 5 mins.

5) The organizers from Gimli Ice Fest are tee'd up for their trophy presentation at 2:50pm.

6) Workers appreciation/VIP ride-alongs are schedule for 3:20pm.

7) Basically the only hard times are: the Workers need to be fed, the RTI guys get their 6 races in and the worker’s appreciation. John H does not believe we can get three 12 minute RTI races done in one hour although we do 4 x 10 minute practice sessions in one hour. The RTI guys know it will be a roundhouse of sessions back to back.

It will be a great RTI double header! I believe I have personally touched base with every single RTI racer about the schedule and the 2 points days. Should not be any surprises there, if there are questions then direct the person to me Jordan@solutionsit.ca

Again I apologize for the delay on this although I cannot believe how much work that is involved with dealing with the individual details. 

Link (in the Ice Racing announcement) to Gimli pier on the home page of the WSCC website under calendar events does not work. Link just loads google maps. 

Did you let JohnnyV know? I can't change it. 

1. I assume Al is co-ordinating the VIP ride alongs?
  2. Due to the extremely tight schedule on Sunday if there is a major incident (IE: a roll-over) during the RTI we may have consider dropping one race.
  3. Yes I'm old (read weak bladder) A PortaPotty is arranged for the pit area?
  4. A reminder during the driver's meeting about the time change for Sunday start.

Thoughts out loud

Did you let JohnnyV know? I can't change it. 

No ... and it's no biggie. I am sure everyone knows where the lake is.

Past posts and notes here